Shropshire County Council is a unitary local authority representing over 300,000 people. Local Government Authorities in the UK have come under increasing pressure to meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998, with stiff financial penalties issued if they fail to comply. Additionally, they are required to use the Public Switched Network (PSN) when passing sensitive information so as to safeguard public data.
SA Group's team conducted a PSN IA Gap Analysis which revealed the need for a new network, incorporating:
- 3,500 users
- Cyber shielding
- Full integration into the 'zero-tolerance' Central Government infrastructure
- Implementation against international standard ISO 27001
The team conducted a full insight and gap analysis to pinpoint where Shropshire CC were and what still needed to be done.
A new system was designed, incorporating a fully documented training plan. The team then went on to deliver the project, ensuring:
- Defined acceptance criteria for the system
- A co-ordinated migration with the involvement of all internal stakeholders
- The award of ISO 27001 certification
- £160m in savings over five years
SA Group completed the report and recommendations on budget and ahead of schedule.
We also oversaw the Public Switched Network application which was subsequently accepted and awarded with PSN Certification which permitted Shropshire CC to join the network.